The Peace River Heartland
Hardee, Polk, Hillsborough, Manatee, Charlotte, and DeSoto Counties
3PR is a community of concerned citizens whose lives are, or will be, affected by phosphate strip mining in Central Florida. We are concerned about the effects on our health, water resources, quality of life and environmental integrity. Our members come from all parts of Florida, not just the Heartland, because this problem affects everyone.
We must end the damage and pollution to our land, water, and air. We have to make the full truth of phosphate strip mining known. We have to make it known to our regulating agencies, local, state and federal government, and the public, that we have a right to live without the degradation of our communities and environment and the threat to our health by phosphate strip mining.
Economic development and conservation can coexist if we preserve the natural beauty that is still fairly abundant in our interior counties. 3PR believes that long term, the quality of life and the health of the area’s economy depends on unspoiled rural lands. Phosphate strip mining is not consistent with this vision. We owe it to our future generations to keep the Peace River Heartland intact, functioning, and as diverse as we have it now.
- To maintain the quality of life that brought us to this rural area.
- To see land preserved in public ownership, especially along the Horse Creek corridor.
- To keep clay waste disposal areas out of our counties.
- To see our soils remain intact and our aquifers functioning as nature intended.
- To be free of the danger of harmful pollutants left in the ground and aquifer after phosphate mining.
- To see the beauty of our unique natural world left for our future generations to see and appreciate, complete with all species of plants and animals.
- To create a panther preserve in Hardee and Desoto Counties.
- In essence we want to preserve the integrity of our lands and the tranquility of our lives here in the Peace River Heartland.
People for Protecting Peace River is a group of concerned citizens that that have formed to educate the public of the extraordinary value of the natural and agricultural lands of the Peace and Myakka River watersheds. The goal of 3PR is to end the damage being done by phosphate strip mining and to promote a superior quality of life in the Peace River Heartland.
The name 3PR comes straight out of the group’s name: People for Protecting Peace River. 3 P’s and 1 R. Simple and much easier to say.